Easy Healthy Potato Recipe
Are Potatoes Healthy? Yea!
Who doesn't love potatoes? Potatoes are one of the most underrated starchy vegetables. They are full of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, copper, manganese and many other vitamins and minerals. The nutrients in potatoes help to build your cells, protect your cardiovascular system and play numerous roles in brain cell and nervous system activity. Potatoes have gained a bad reputation because they're often found in the form of French Fries or lathered in unhealthy ingredients when cooked. But fear not, I'm here to make potatoes cool again! Alright enough talking, heres the recipe :)
2 pounds small potatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bunch (handful) of cilantro
10 or so leaves of Basil
1-2 tablespoons oregano
1/2 cup chopped chives
1-2 sweet peppers roasted
1 pinch salt
optional: pinch of cayenne pepper (Arriba!)
- Wash and prepare potatoes. Cut off any undesirable pieces and cut the potatoes to about the size of 2 cubes (usually by halving each one).
- Heat olive oil in a 2 inch deep (minimum) pan. When heated to frying temperature, add potatoes. I like to add them face down first. Once they are golden brown on the bottoms (~7 minutes), flip the potatoes over and cook the other side.
- Once potatoes are cooked, remove from oil and set into medium bowl. Check to see if cooked by removing one and cutting it open, it should be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Set aside.
- Roast the red pepper on an open flame or burner, rotating occasionally, until all the skin is blackened. Remove the burnt skin to reveal the sweet flesh beneath. Remove flesh from stem and chop to small pieces. Set aside.
- Chop the onions and chives into small pieces. Mince the garlic. Chop the cilantro and basil and mix with garlic, onions, chives, and oregano.
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Lightly salt (1 tsp)
Roasting the peppers on the open flame helps to make the pepper sweeter and more tasty!
I like to eat these potatoes as a dish by itself or as a side to your favorite protein whether it be beans, eggs, chicken or steak. Whatever floats your boat!
Happy cooking and have a blessed day!
Ps. Share this recipe with your friends, comment, and like :-)